Suspect in case of Khashoggi dies in strange accident

The Turkish newspaper Yeni Safak reported that Meshal Saad Albostani, a member of the “death squad” consisting of 15 people sent by Saudi Arabia to kill Khashoggi, lost his life in suspicious circumstances.

The lack of knowledge of the details, such as place or day, of the accident in which Albostani died after returning to Saudi Arabia from Turkey, led to analysts and experts quoted by the Turkish newspaper speculating on the relationship of this death and the journalist’s case.

Some of the experts mentioned in the Turkish newspaper believe that Albostani was “silenced” by the Saudi authorities after he expressed his willingness to reveal what happened on October 2 at the consular headquarters of that country in Istanbul.

That day, Khashoggi, a columnist for the Washington Post newspaper and a critic of Al Saud, went to the Saudi embassy for personal reasons, and since then his whereabouts are unknown.

Although Riyadh maintains that Khashoggi left the premises of the consulate that same day, the Turkish authorities insist that they have evidence that the journalist was tortured and then killed and dismembered, as well as accusing Saudi Arabia of not cooperating with their investigation teams.

Fleeing Davos in the Desert

The possible responsibility of the Saudi Crown Prince in the case of Khashoggi’s murder makes world leaders uneasy. Every day that passes and new details of the crime of the critical journalist with Riyadh appear, more casualties occur in the “Davos in the Desert” forum. The last ones to cancel their assistance have been the French Finance Minister, Bruno Le Maire, and his Dutch counterpart, Wopka Hoekstra, who also ruled out plans to attend.

At the same time, the Government of the Netherlands will suspend a trade mission to Saudi Arabia next month. They were joined yesterday by US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, who announced that he will not attend the investment conference in Riyadh. The networks CNBC and CNN will also not be in Saudi Arabia.

Meanwhile, the US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, asked Trump yesterday to grant “a few more days” to Saudi Arabia to investigate the disappearance, although he did not specify when he expects this investigation to be completed. “[The Saudis] assured me that they will carry out a full and exhaustive investigation of all the facts and that they will do so expeditiously,” said Pompeo. “I have told the president that we should give them a few more days to complete” that investigation, the Secretary of State added.

In any case, Trump seems to have little doubt about the tragic fate of Khashoggi after acknowledging yesterday that “it certainly” seems that the Saudi journalist is dead. “Certainly that seems to me,” the president explained when asked if Khashoggi, who lost track after entering the Saudi consulate, has died.

Trump also told reporters before taking the plane to travel to a political rally in Montana that the alleged crime “will have serious consequences.”


Image source: Yeni Safak | With information from Yeni Safak and Business Insider


More to read: Cannabis trades better on Wall Street than gold

LachToday.com

Noticias | News

You may also like...

Deja un comentario

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos obligatorios están marcados con *

Este sitio usa Akismet para reducir el spam. Aprende cómo se procesan los datos de tus comentarios.